Bible Passages on Homosexuality and Sexual Perversion
Dr. Andrew Jackson
So God created man in his own image; in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, ‘Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds.’
Haven’t you read,’ he replied, ‘that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh?’ So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.
For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual perversion, theft, false testimony, and slander.
(21) Although the non-Jews knew God from the natural revelation of creation, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him. They became irrational in their reasoning, and their foolish hearts were darkened. (22) Although claiming to be wise, they became fools. (23) They exchanged the beautiful majesty of the ever-living God for dead idols made to look like mortal humans and birds and animals and reptiles. (24) Therefore, God abandoned them. He gave them over in the sinful passions of their hearts to sexual perversion and the degrading of their bodies with one another. (25) They exchanged the truth about God for a lie. They worshiped and served created things, rather than the Creator—who is praised forever. Amen, let it be. (26) Because they worshiped created things, God abandoned them and gave them over to the sinful passions of their hearts. For women exchanged natural sexual relations with men for homosexual relations with other women, which is contrary to their created nature. (27) In the same way, men left their natural sexual relations with women and acted upon their burning lusts for other men. Men committed shameful homosexual acts with other men and received in themselves the just penalty for their actions. (28) Because the non-Jews did not think it important to acknowledge God, he abandoned them. He gave them over to a corrupt way of thinking, so that they would do what was was not right. (29) They became filled with every kind of unrighteousness—evil, greed, immoral acts, jealousy, murder, fighting, deception, and hostility. They became gossips, (30) slanderers, and God-haters. They were disrespectful, arrogant, and braggers. They disobeyed their parents. They invented new ways of doing evil. (31) They had no understanding, no faithfulness, no love, and no mercy. (32) Although they knew that God’s righteous commandments said that those who do these things deserve death, they continued to do them. Not only that, they cheered on others who also practiced them.
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.”
1 Corinthians 6:13,18-20
(13)…the body was not created for sexual perversion, but the body is for the Lord, and the Lord is for the body. (18) I call upon you to run away from sexual perversion. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. (19) Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit. You have received the Holy Spirit as a gift from God, and the Holy Spirit lives within you. You are not your own! (20) You were bought with a price! Therefore, magnify God with your bodies!
Among God’s people there must not be even a hint of sexual perversion, any kind of impurity (moral corruption), or greed, for these are improper for God’s holy people
(1) Be imitators of God as dearly beloved children. (2) Live a life of love—just as Jesus Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. (3) Among God’s people there must not be even a hint of sexual perversion, any kind of impurity (moral corruption), or greed, for these are improper for God’s holy people.
1 Thessalonians 4:1-8
(1) My brothers and sisters, we taught you how to live a life that pleases God, as in fact you are living. We ask you and encourage you in the Lord Jesus Christ to live this kind of life more and more. (2) For you know what we taught you was by the authority of the Lord Jesus. (3) It is God’s will that you be holy. To be holy you must reject all sexual perversion, (4) learn to control your own body in a honorable way, (5) and not follow your lustful passions like the pagans who do not know God. (6) In this matter no one should wrong or take advantage of another brother or sister. The Lord will punish everyone who commits such sins, as we told you and warned you before. (7) For God has called us to live a holy life, not a life of impurity. (8) Therefore, anyone who rejects this teaching does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.
1 Timothy 1:8-11
(8) We know that the law of Moses is good if people use it in the right way. (9) God did not give the law for the righteous, but for those who are lawbreakers and disobedient, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and ungodly, for those who kill their fathers and mothers, for murderers, (10) for the sexually perverse, for practicing homosexuals, for slave traders, liars, and perjurers—and for everything else that is contrary to sound teaching.
(7) In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the neighboring towns indulged in sexual perversion and pursued unnatural passions (homosexuality). They serve as an example of those who will suffer the punishment of eternal fire.