The Church of Holy Peace (Hagia Sophia) in Nicea (Iznik) (AD 500s)
The Church of Holy Peace (Hagia Sophia) was built in Nicea (modern Iznik) during the reign of emperor Justinian, in the 500s. The seventh Ecumenical Church Council was held in the Church of Holy Peace in 787 . In 1337, the church was converted into a mosque after the Turks had conquered Nicea. Although the Republic of Turkey turned the mosque into a museum in 1935, it was made a mosque again in November 2011.