Qualifications of Church Overseers (1 Timothy 3:1-7)
Dr. Andrew Jackson
(1) This is a truthful saying: Whoever desires to function as a church overseer (episcopate, possibly referring to a lead elder, pastor, or bishop) desires a vitally important work of ministry.
(2) Church overseers must live a good life (above reproach), be sexually pure in marriage (a man of one woman), be a sound and stable thinker, self-controlled, respected by others, hospitable, able to teach God’s word,
(3) not addicted to alcohol, not violent but gentle, not argumentative, and not controlled by money.
(4) He must care for his own family and keep the children living in proper respect and obedience.
(5) If a man does not know how to care for his own family, how can he oversee God’s church?
(6) A church overseer must not be a new believer, for he can become filled with pride and experience the same judgment as Satan.
(7) He must also have a good reputation with unbelievers, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil’s trap.